Having a hearing loss today is not as uncommon as one may believe. However, it seems as if seeking treatment is less likely to occur with those who do have a hearing loss. The following statistics from the Better Hearing Institute below illustrate this gap between those with hearing losses and those who seek care. While we at Ascent Audiology & Hearing have been able to care for numerous individuals in the community, it is surprising to be reminded that there are so many that are not receiving the care that they should have.
- 1 in 4 workers exposed to high levels of noise will develop a hearing loss
- Only 13% of general practitioners screen for hearing loss
- 3 in every 10 people over age 60 have a hearing loss
- 1 in every 6 baby boomers (ages 41-59) has a hearing loss
- 1 in every 14 Generation X’ers (29-40) already has a hearing loss
- An estimated 1.5 million youth, under the age of 21, have hearing loss that may be improved with amplification
- Only 1 out of 5 people who could benefit from a hearing aid actually wear one
- 9 out of 10 hearing aid users report improvements in their quality of life
Clearly, these statistics are startling. This truly indicates that a lot of people are choosing to go without the benefits of solutions for their hearing loss. Most often, this can be due to confusion over what benefit hearing aids can provide and which type of hearing aid is best for a specific person’s loss. Also, cost can be a factor. At Ascent Audiology & Hearing we provide complimentary consultations to identify which of our many affordable hearing aid products may be recommended for each patient’s unique hearing loss. If you or a loved one are interested in getting the care you deserve, simply submit your information in the Contact Us form.
~Alison Vega, Doctor of Audiology